Title: Professor Emeritus of Botany
Office: Biological Sciences
Email: [email protected]
Areas of Expertise: My principal experience is in course design, facilities design, and face-to-face instruction. In 2013-2014 I designed and taught my first on-line course.
I have been involved in STEM teaching and learning for many years; specifically the biological and life sciences. I have consulted in the areas of curriculum and course development both in the US and abroad (Indonesia), and have also worked with pre-college teachers in inquiry and problem-project based learning.
(select publications related to teaching & learning)
- The Role of the Undergraduate Student in Teaching and Learning Biology. Atlas J. Sci. Ed. 1(2). 2011
- Increasing Academic Performance in an Introductory Biology Course. BioScience 41(2). 1991
- Educational Receptivity Before Science Literacy. BioScience 40(1). 1990
- University Scientists as Precollege Science Curriculum Developers. BioScience 39(2). 1989
- The Socratic Teaching Method and Multi-Media Instruction. Plant Science Bulletin 24(3). 1978
- Botany: Basic Concepts in Plant Biology. Harper & Row. 1978