Oscar and Shoshana Trachtenberg Prize for Service
For Nominating Departments
Please carefully review the Award Criteria and Selection Process information below for completing your nominee's submission package. Be sure to attach the Trachtenberg Service Award Submission Package Cover Sheet to submitted materials.
This award recognizing exceptional service to the George Washington University was established in 1993 by President Emeritus Stephen Joel Trachtenberg in memory of his parents. The Trachtenberg Prize for Service is presented annually to a tenured member of the faculty. A $1,500 prize is awarded to the recipient.
Faculty, staff, and students may nominate a tenured member of the faculty for this award. The University will honor the recipient at the annual Faculty Honors Ceremony in the spring.
Service may include active membership in the Faculty Senate; active membership on committees, including standing committees, special ad-hoc committees, or task forces; and other activities that directly involve institutional governance or the conduct of the University’s corporate affairs.
For the purpose of this award, “service” is not intended to include activities associated with teaching or scholarship, such as student advising, the development of new programs or courses, or the initiation of grant proposals. Emphasis will be put on service that is voluntary, above and beyond the usual or required faculty service, and on service that is university-wide. The service contribution will be judged using the following criteria:
- Service that involves leadership roles, such as a committee or task force chair, department chair, or associate dean.
- Service that contributes to shared governance through service in the Faculty Senate or involvement in university-wide strategic planning.
- Service on committees at the department, school and university level to include special committees, accreditation self-studies, and task forces.
- Service that has spanned a number of years at GW.
- Other university service that contributes to the overall GW mission.
The Trachtenberg Prize for Service winner is nominated by faculty, staff, or students, endorsed by the faculty member’s department, and then voted upon by committee.
- Faculty, staff or students must complete the nomination form by December 16, 2022.
- To endorse the nomination, the department is asked to submit the following supporting materials electronically as a single PDF document by February 3, 2023 to [email protected]:
- Trachtenberg Service Award Submission Package Cover Sheet
- Cover letter that documents the record of service as thoroughly as possible.
- Two letters of recommendation from either faculty colleagues and/or an administrator, such as a department chair or dean. These letters should address the impact of the service made by the individual on the university.
- CV of the nominee.
The submission package should be a maximum of 15 pages, not including the required cover sheet; materials beyond the 15-page limit will not be considered.
*Nomination materials will not be returned*
- December 16, 2022: Nomination forms for 2023 are due
- February 3, 2023: Submission packages due to [email protected]
Please contact Faculty Affairs (202-994-0143; [email protected]) with any questions.
2020-2022 Trachtenberg Prize Winners Video
2019 Trachtenberg Prize Winners Video
- Faculty Honors Ceremony
- Trachtenberg Prize for Teaching Excellence
- Trachtenberg Prize for Service
- Trachtenberg Prize for Scholarship (Research)
- Morton A. Bender Teaching Awards
- Philip J. Amsterdam Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards
- GW Inventor of the Year
- Office of the Vice Provost for Research Faculty Awards
- Writing in the Disciplines Distinguished Teaching Awards
- Academy of Distinguished Teachers