Nominate for 2022 Faculty Awards!
This award recognizing exceptional service to the George Washington University was established in 1993 by President Emeritus Stephen Joel Trachtenberg in memory of his parents. The Trachtenberg Prize for Service is presented annually to a tenured member of the faculty. A $1,500 prize is awarded to the recipient. The University will honor the recipient at the annual Faculty Honors Ceremony.
Service may include active membership in the Faculty Senate; active membership on committees, including standing committees, special ad-hoc committees, or task forces; and other activities that directly involve institutional governance or the conduct of the University’s corporate affairs.
For the purpose of this award, “service” is not intended to include activities associated with teaching or scholarship, such as student advising, the development of new programs or courses, or the initiation of grant proposals. Emphasis will be put on service that is voluntary, above and beyond the usual or required faculty service, and on service that is university-wide. The service contribution will be judged using the following criteria:
- Service that involves leadership roles, such as a committee or task force chair, department chair, or associate dean.
- Service that contributes to shared governance through service in the Faculty Senate or involvement in university-wide strategic planning.
- Service on committees at the department, school and university level to include special committees, accreditation self studies, and task forces.
- Service that has spanned a number of years at GW.
- Other university service that contributes to the overall GW mission.
Faculty, staff, and students may nominate a tenured member of the faculty for this award. To endorse the nomination, nominators are asked to submit the following supporting materials:
- Cover letter that documents the record of service as thoroughly as possible.
- Two letters of recommendation from either faculty colleagues and/or an administrator, such as a department chair or dean. These letters should address the impact of the service made by the individual on the university.
- CV of the nominee.
Nominations for 2021-2022 will be open from October 11th through November 29th. Submission packets from candidates endorsed by their department are due to The Office for Faculty Affairs by February 27th.
Please contact The Office for Faculty Affairs (202-994-0143; [email protected]) with any questions.
List of previous winners of the Oscar and Shoshana Trachtenberg Prize for Service