The Bender Teaching Awards recognize undergraduate, graduate and professional teaching at GW. Endowed by Morton Bender and the George Washington University, each award provides a $1,000 prize to be used by the recipient for professional development. Nominations are solicited from October through November. Departments may then endorse nominated faculty by submitting all supporting materials to Faculty Affairs by mid-January. A selection committee of faculty and students select the recipients. The recipients will be honored at the Faculty Honors Ceremony during the Spring semester.
Any full-time or part-time faculty member of the George Washington University may be nominated by a department chair, colleague or student. Faculty members may also nominate themselves. The nominee must have taught at GW for at least two academic years. The award is based upon demonstrated excellence in the following criteria:
- Application of appropriate pedagogical principles and effective teaching practices in higher education and/or the specific discipline or area being taught.
- Commitment to student learning and adaptation of instructional methods to differing students' strengths, needs, and differences.
- Use of student assignments that reflect high academic standards and expectations for high achievement.
- Fostering a high level of student involvement and intellectual excitement.
- Availability to students outside of regularly scheduled class times.
- Participation in the peer review of teaching.
- Engagement in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
Please download the Bender Teaching Award Criteria (.pdf) for more information.
Bender Awards are divided into the following categories:
- One of the awards is specifically designated to recognize teaching by a non-tenured, full-time faculty member.
- One of the awards is specifically designated to recognize teaching by a part-time faculty member.
- Two of the awards are designated as general teaching recognition awards and are open to any full-time or part-time tenured or non-tenured GW faculty member.
The recipients of the Bender Teaching Awards are selected by a committee of faculty and students based on the above criteria and materials submitted.
Endorsing the Nominee
To endorse the nomination, the department is asked to submit the following supporting materials electronically as a single PDF document.
- One letter (1–2 pages) stating the department’s support of the nominee and addressing all of the criteria. This letter should be from the department chair or other departmental colleague with the chair's co-signature. If the nominee is the chair the letter should be from the Dean’s office.
- Summary of teaching experience and approach (1 page).
- Any other supporting materials the nominee wishes to include (max 15 pages).
The submission package should be a maximum of 18 pages; materials beyond the 18-page limit will not be considered.
*Nomination materials will not be returned.*
Award winners will be selected by a committee consisting of a member of the student association, previous Trachtenberg and Bender award winners, “external” faculty who has not won either award, and a faculty senate representative. The recipients will be honored at the Faculty Honors Ceremony in the spring.
Nominations for 2019-2020 will be open from October 7th through November 22nd. Submission packets from candidates endorsed by their department are due to The Office for Faculty Affairs by January 24th.
Please contact The Office for Faculty Affairs (202-994-1620; [email protected]) with any questions.
List of previous winners of the Bender Teaching Awards