Oscar and Shoshana Trachtenberg Prize for Scholarship (Research)
For Nominating Departments
Please carefully review the Award Criteria and Selection Process information below for completing your nominee's submission package.
This award recognizing outstanding research accomplishments was established by President Emeritus Stephen Joel Trachtenberg in memory of his parents. It is presented annually to a tenured member of the faculty along with a $1,500 prize. The award is meant to honor faculty scholarship and demonstrate the George Washington University’s commitment to research and creative endeavors.
Faculty may be nominated by other faculty members for this award. The University will honor the recipient at the annual Faculty Honors Ceremony in the spring.
This award is presented annually to a tenured member of the faculty to recognize excellence in scholarship defined as:
- Significant, original contributions to the base of knowledge or understanding in a discipline or field of study;
- Original artistic or literary works of significance; and/or
- Significant contributions of original insights on important public policy issues.
The purpose of this award is to recognize promising research while it is still being conducted rather than years afterward.
The Trachtenberg Prize for Scholarship (Research) winner is nominated by faculty, endorsed by the faculty member’s department, and then voted upon by committee.
- Faculty must submit a nomination form by December 16, 2022 via InfoReady.
NOTE: Log In → "Login for George Washington University Users" → Login with your @gwu.edu email and password.
- To endorse the nomination, the department is asked to submit the following supporting materials electronically as a single PDF document by February 3, 2023 via InfoReady. (Nomination packages can be submitted after receiving an invitation to submit.)
- Curriculum vitae
- Support letter from the faculty nominator
- Support letter from the school (department chair, associate dean or dean)
- Optional external (outside of GW) support letters (2 maximum)
- Optional publications or other appropriate work samples (2 maximum)
*Nomination materials will not be returned*
- December 16, 2022: Nomination forms for 2023 due via InfoReady
- NOTE: Log In → "Login for George Washington University Users" → Login with your @gwu.edu email and password
- February 3, 2023: Submission packages due via InfoReady
Please contact OVPR ([email protected]) with any questions.
2020-2022 Trachtenberg Prize Winners Video
2019 Trachtenberg Prize Winners Video
All previous Trachtenberg Prize for Scholarship (Research) winners