Philip J. Amsterdam Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards
For Nominating Departments
Please carefully review the Award Criteria and Selection Process information below for completing your nominee's submission package. Be sure to attach the Amsterdam Graduate Assistant Award Submission Package cover sheet to submitted materials.
The Philip J. Amsterdam Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards honor Graduate Assistants (GAs) who have made an outstanding contribution to GW teaching and recognize the important contribution our graduate students make to the educational process. In 2003, President Stephen J. Trachtenberg and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs Donald R. Lehman established the Philip J. Amsterdam Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards for Outstanding Teaching.
Graduate assistants may be nominated by any GW student or faculty member. Winners are selected by a committee and receive $500 for professional development. The recipients will be honored at the Faculty Honors Ceremony.
This honor is awarded to Graduate Assistants (GAs) who will have had at least three semesters of GA experience by the end of the fall semester; Instructional Assistants are eligible for this award if their work has been in a teaching capacity. Nominated GAs/IAs must have outstanding evaluations from their students and their supervising professors, as well as outstanding academic work. Winners will be selected based on the following qualities:
- Enthusiasm, effectiveness, and commitment to improvement of the teaching and learning process.
- Ability to engage and inspire students both within and outside the classroom.
- High standards of professionalism and collegiality.
- Commitment to the educational enterprise of the University.
GAs may be nominated by any GW student or faculty member.
- Nominators must complete the nomination form by November 17, 2023.
- To endorse the nomination, the department is asked to submit the following supporting materials electronically as a single PDF document by January 8, 2024 to [email protected]:
- Amsterdam Graduate Assistant Award Submission Package cover sheet
- Letter of support (1–2 pages) from a faculty mentor or supervisor detailing the GA’s accomplishments.
- Students’ comments on the GA’s semester feedback, with numerical ratings where available (maximum of 5 pages)
- Any other supporting materials the nominee wishes to include (CV, student statements, etc.)
The submission package should be a maximum of 15 pages, not including the required cover sheet; material beyond the 15-page limit will not be considered.
*Nomination materials will not be returned*
- November 17, 2023: Nomination forms for 2024 are due
- January 8, 2024: Submission packages due to [email protected]
Please contact Faculty Affairs (202-994-0143; [email protected]) with any questions.
2023 Philip J. Amsterdam Graduate Teaching Assistant Award Winners Video